Saturday, December 30, 2006

Should an old acquaintance be forgot





It's that time of year when everywhere I go folks are running into those they know while waiting in various lines. The line for liquid apathy was a rather long one this year as it's always a popular seasonal passtime to dull one's senses. Frankly, all those primary colors and strobing lights make mine overload a bit so it's always a pleasant relief to hunker down in the bat cave with a big ol fith of poison and the shades drawn. Granted, that means it's pretty much 'business as usual' for me but like so many others this week I have a convenient and culturally supported reason to get tight.

But I digress, for it wasn't in the aforementioned line that I ran into an old fiend but the obligatory excursion to my parole officer. It would be an understatement to describe this beauraucratic ritual as 'hellish' but there ya go, it IS hellish. Also tedious, so it was a welcome diversionary miracle to see that blond pigtailed, cake munching, axe toting urchin known as Audley Strange stroll by while I awaited my turn in the maw of the machine.

I decided to ditch my appointment, which ended up being far less satisfying once I found out it had been cancelled anyways, and joined Audley for a few bottles of Poppy Cola™ and some long overdue information exchange. The turnover in informants due to the high mortality rate means a contact such as Audley is indespensible and it's always goodly fun to talk shop.

The fact that she can bought for half a dozen triple fudge bomb cakes is really just a bonus.

Got me thinking all maudlinish an such, or maybe it was the cola, about how important it is to hang onto those few goodly friends that cross our path as we negotiate our way past pitfalls and traps. When all is said and done they are too valuable to sell out or let go of.

It is with that thought in mind that I will leave this year behind...

1 Comments:

Blogger Audley said...

Tt, she is not your friend she only likes you because you keep buying her cakes you soppy fool.

You really sicken me sometimes do you know that?

6:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home